Top 8 benefits of Toronto Kickboxing for Fitness Program
Kickboxing class is a high-energy, fast-paced physical activity. The music adds to your stimulation and motivation to participate in the class.
Students who do not excel in team sports in school or in company-organized leagues, often find that kickboxing is the ideal activity to develop physical fitness, improve focus and mood.
Participants who partake in the kickboxing classes at Bamboo Kung Fu Academy will reap the following top 8 benefits of kickboxing:
- Lose body fat fast- Repeating sets of multiple repetitions of punching or kicking with short rest intervals in between sets will help melt away body fat. Practising kickboxing techniques repeatedly at intense pace with intervals of short rest periods is called high intensity interval training (HIIT). It is the most effective way to lose body fat fast. The intense activity stimulates the body's metabolism into overdrive especially after several hours after the workout. This is when the body converts the stored fat into energy to initiate cell repair especially when the body is resting or sleeping.
- Stress relief: Punch away your stress and channel aggression to the punching pads. Daily lives in the 21st century are riddled with stress. This is a fact of life. Managing stress is very important in managing weight loss. When one is stressed, the body produces a hormone called cortisol. Cortisol promotes storing food as fat in one’s body especially around the belly area. The physical act of kicking and punching in kickboxing classes causes one’s body to circulation system to flush out the cortisol and at the same causes the brain to trigger release of endorphins, our body's natural feel-good hormone. The next time you go to kickboxing class, picture your boss’s, co-worker’s face on the punching pad and let it all out on the punching pad. You will feel a thousand times better.
- Whole body workout – Kickboxing is an efficient way of getting muscle tone in the buttocks and abs. Kicking will activate the glutes, the muscle that wraps the buttock, and also work the abdominals. Most boxers or kickboxers who appear on TV shows off their six – pack abs. Besides kicking, they repeatedly drill their punches so that their bodies are behind every punch. When in class, the kickboxing instructor will emphasize on the proper punching technique, which is to engage the core muscles so that the body is behind every punch. Additionally, kickboxing will help tone your upper body especially shoulders, upper back and chest muscles.
- Time saving and efficient: The pace of kickboxing class is fast and intense. The continuous explosive movements from one combination of punching and kicking to another set of combination will challenge the body physically within 3 minutes. With the motivation of the kickboxing instructor, after several rounds of punching and kicking, your body’s energy reserve is completely tapped. A kickboxing class can provide a challenging workout within 20 - 30 minutes!
- Maintain interest level – There are numerous techniques to learn in kickboxing classes to keep your interest level up, so you definitely won't be bored! You cannot lose focus and think of what you are going to do at the office after class. Classes are so fast and intense that before you know it, the classes are coming to an end because there is so much going on!
- Empowering and feel confident: - If you are beginner level at kickboxing, you will feel empowered. Kickboxing cultivates a sense of achievement and confidence. You will feel that kickboxing is not only for those who are strong and fit. It is for everyone.
- Get stronger: the strength training component of kickboxing class, i.e. bodyweight exercises like pushups, jumping squats, will add to your strength development and increase muscle development. These exercises improve lean body mass, increasing your metabolism and boost fat burning ability in your body.
- Better coordination, flexibility and agility: You will find that your flexibility will gradually increase as you progress further. Each time you reach a milestone in kickboxing class, you will find that your coordination and agility will improve. You will have more energy, better focus and improved mood, less aches and pain, generally become a happier person.
A word of caution, if you have not been physically active for a while, ease yourself back into the exercise and gradually increase the exercise intensity. Similarly, when in kickboxing class take frequent breaks if the pace of the class is overwhelming. Let the kickboxing instructor know that you need a break, they will understand. Don't set your expectations too high. Doing too much too quickly will set yourself for failure. You will feel discouraged and possibly get injured.
Still feeling intimidated with kickboxing training? Try out our kickboxing classes FREE! Our kickboxing instructors will pace you appropriately. We are centrally located in the heart of downtown Toronto at the south east corner of Spadina Avenue and Richmond Street West, close proximity to Financial district, Entertainment district, minutes away from Spadina – Dundas Chinatown, easily accessible by TTC.