Kickboxing for fitness at Bamboo Kung Fu - downtown Toronto location.
You should try our kickboxing classes:
- - If you are tired of going to the gym and not getting results
- - If you have tried doing itself yourself at the gym but don't know how use the equipment other than the treadmill
- - If you don't want to try your own same workout routine again
- - If you need someone to push you through the last rep or last 20 seconds of your workout
- - If you want to minimize the risk of injury
The kickboxing classes are more focused towards challenging you physically, improve your cardio, build stronger core, improve your power, improve your flexibility and agility. However, there is also attention given to technique to ensure that you minimize injury.
Class general workout plan
- - warm up to get your body ramp up for the class,
- - drills and movements that are dynamic and active aka interval training i.e. a preset period of high intensity activity followed by a brief rest interval
- - some weight training component will be introduce depending on the session
- - mini technical workshop with application strategies
- - 2nd interval training blast
- - cool down with stretching, we recommend that you stretch, to help reduce soreness. If you are sore the next or the following days, continue light stretching periodically throughout the day.
Kickboxing is a fun, dynamic, group workout that gets results. Just ask any of our countless kickboxing students who have witnessed the real benefits of this high-intensity workout for themselves. Weight loss, more energy, a sculpted physique and soaring confidence are a handful of the benefits our students derive.
What makes kickboxing such an effective workout?
Kickboxing is a multidimensional workout that incorporates a wide repertoire of movements. This makes it far more effective than one-dimensional workouts which target a single area of the body. At the Toronto campus of the Bamboo Kung Fu Academy, we offer high-energy kickboxing classes twice a week. Our high intensity interval training (HIIT) kickboxing class is similar to going for three minutes in a boxing ring, with one minute of rest. The combined cardio and anaerobic components of our kickboxing class challenge all of the major muscle groups of the body. This helps to prevent overuse injuries. Check out the how the high-intensity interval training (HIIT) kickboxing program benefits your fitness and health and helps you shed the fat.
"Float like a butterfly, and sting like a bee." ~ Muhammad Ali
Kickboxing improves coordination, flexibility and agility. As you learn good body mechanics and proper technique, you’ll become lighter on your feet and better able to react to unforeseen occurrences, reducing the risk of injury during daily activities. The kickboxing instructors at Bamboo Kung Fu Academy are martial arts practitioners. That means you’ll learn proper technique from martial artists with many years of experience in kickboxing and other martial arts. Our knowledgeable instructors will teach you how to safely perform each move, to minimize the potential for injury. Our high-intensity kickboxing class with weight-training component builds and strengthens muscles. You’ll realize the benefits of additional muscle, like more strength and a faster metabolism, without building unwanted bulk. The additional muscle mass, combined with high-energy movements, make kickboxing an excellent method for achieving and maintaining weight loss. But that’s only the beginning when it comes to the many benefits that kickboxing offers.
Did you know ... ?
- Kickboxing burns 750 calories in an hour. This number is enhanced when weight training is added to the routine.
- Your body will continue to burn residual calories for several hours after your kickboxing session.
- Kickboxing is a great stress reliever. Bad day at the office? Picture your boss as the target and let off some steam.
- Kickboxing produces a natural high as the body releases endorphins, sometimes called “feel good” hormones.
- Kickboxing is a high-intensity workout that keeps your mind and body engaged, unlike running on a treadmill or riding a cycling machine.
- Participating in a kickboxing class creates a motivating sense of community with likeminded individuals.
- Kickboxing constantly challenges you to perfect your technique and incorporate new moves.
- Kickboxing increases flexibility, reducing the chance of injury.
- The weight training built into the end of each kickboxing class helps build muscle, which increases your metabolism so that your body burns more calories—even in a resting state.
- Punching and kicking movements engage your core muscles and tighten and define abs, obliques and lower back muscles.
- Kicking movements engage the glute muscles and help tone the buttocks.
The chart below shows how kickboxing moves can strengthen and tone your body:
|Kickboxing technique||Muscles targeted||Other muscles engaged||Areas where flexibility is increased|
|Straight lead / cross over punches||Shoulders, triceps, forearms, core muscles||Upper back, chest, calf, thigh, buttock||Torso|
|Hook punch||Shoulders, forearms, core muscles, chest||Upper back, calf, thighs, buttock, biceps, triceps||Torso|
|Body shots||Core, chest, upper back, shoulders, forearms||Calf, thigh, buttock, triceps, biceps||Torso|
|Upper cuts||Calf, thighs, buttock, lower back, core, forearms||Shoulders, chest, upper back||Torso|
|Weaving and bobbing||Lower and upper back, core, thigh (quads), neck||Buttock, calf||Torso, neck mobility|
|Front kicks||Lower abdominal (hip flexor muscles), calf||Lower and upper back||Leg (behind - hamstring), groin|
|Sidekicks||Buttock, core||Lower and upper back||Groin and hamstring|
|Round-house kicks||Thigh (front-quad), core twisting||Lower and upper back||Groin and hamstring|
|Elbows||Shoulders, core||Upper back, lower back, chest||Shoulder rotation|
|Knees||Lower abdominal (hip flexor muscles), core||Upper back and lower back||Leg (behind hamstring), groin|
In addition to the health benefits you'll glean from kickboxing, you'll also learn valuable self-defense moves. As you learn to master explosive kickboxing movements, you’ll learn techniques which allow a smaller person to overtake a larger, stronger opponent. No wonder many of the women who attend our kickboxing classes find them to be empowering. If getting stronger, healthier or more confident is on your list of New Year’s resolutions, kickboxing can help you achieve each of these goals. Bamboo Kung Fu Academy invites you to try a free, trial kickboxing class to experience the benefits for yourself. Then, when you’re ready to start seeing the amazing results that continued participation in our kickboxing classes offer, pick the kickboxing class package that's right for you.
Find out more about health benefits of kickboxing for fitness - Top 8 benefits of Toronto Kickboxing for Fitness Program.
Drew Eastmond, Kickboxing Instructor Says...
This is what Drew has to say about his approach when teaching kickboxing classes:
"I consider myself a very unique and talented instructor, where my kick boxing classes are targeted towards core results. In addition, I combine unique kung fu derived body conditioning. My classes emphasize a total body workout that hit every major muscle groups, cardio, stretching/flexibility, and core strength. Physical conditioning is a very important part of healthy living. Often, l assess each student and will adapt / modify the classes to target weak points that motivate students to enjoy working out on a regular basis. My classes will slowly build upon your current strengths in a structure method. This approach takes a portion of the class dedicated to warming up and stretching, a cardio blitz, targeted strength training, and a final portion dedicated to learning self-defence techniques. The idea is to walk away learning something interesting as new techniques are introduced and reinforced. You don't have to be a pro to join these classes. Class participants come from different levels of experiences; some are beginners while some have some background in martial arts. The classes are fun and entertaining and yet can provide a great environment where you can enjoy yourself with other students. Laughter is very good for stress relieving, and l often emphasize a good vibe that people have come to love. Often, many students who want to get back into the sport [kickboxing] from an excessive hiatus end up feeling lost. I avoid the confusion by providing enough focus. The focus on each student as an individual and group will get everyone up to speed as l have been known to be attentive to each student’s technique. This means guiding exercises, attitudes and habits that give the best bang for buck, and helping students digest what would be confusing, by breaking it down into simple segments. Sometimes using unorthodox means that leave you with a moment of clarity. Martial arts have always been a passion of mine. I take a lot of pride in guiding my students on how to grow in physical prowess and conditioning. I welcome new drop – ins anytime."
Class Schedule by School Location - Toronto
Bamboo Kung Fu Academy - downtown Toronto:
141 Spadina Ave., 2nd floor, Unit 205 (southeast corner of Spadina Ave and Richmond St. West)
Mondays and Wednesdays: 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm in Toronto, Ontario.